Tags: decided, detached, drugs, eye, health, medications, optical, retina, time, worrying

detached retina?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Optical & Eye Health

11,096 words with 20 Comments; publish: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:08:00 GMT; (900109.38, « »)

I have been worrying about this for a long time. I have gone to the same eye dr since 1991. 2 years ago I decided to try someone else because the office was closer to my home. When she dilated my eyes and looked, she acted really worried and said "do you see floaters?" and I said no, because at the time I didn't know what they were so I thought I didn't see them. She then proceeded to tell me I was at risk for a retinal detachment and I asked if there was anything they could do for that and she said no you go blind. Of course I freaked out and looked on the internet and realized I do see floaters but I've always had them so I thought they were normal. I then went to my old eye dr who dilated my eyes (he never dilated them before because he blows the air thing in your eye and says that's fine) and he said I see floaters because I am very nearsighted (20/700) and the retina is stretched. he said a lot of people see floaters and flashes and to just keep an eye on my vision and if I notice anything like an increase in floaters, dark shadows in vision, etc to call immediately. He basically said I shouldnt waste my time worrying about this because it could happen but it also could never happen. I am a worrier and can't forget about this-I keep having him dilate my eyes thinking something is happening and nothing is. The way that one doctor acted she acted like it very likely would happen (i think she may have even said this). What do you think? They were both Optometrists. Help!!! This is consuming me......

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 20 Comments
    • gee I hope you didnt wait around I had no idea I even had a problem until I had a regular check up and the guy said Mrs K you failed your eye test. In less than8 hours I was in the hospital having emergency surgery on my eye due to retina detachment. Man you just cant tell when that is gonna happen it doesnt even take an injury. take care frances k
      #1; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:45:00 GMT
    • frances kerr: Glad to hear they caught your problem. Is your vision o.k.? You had no warning signs? How did the surgery go and what did they do to fix it? I didn't wait around I saw a retinal specialist who said he doesn't see a problem.
      #2; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:46:00 GMT
    • I had gone for a normal check up (very shot sighted) and i was told that i had patches on my retina, the optision said that it could be a retinal detachment.

So i referred by my doctor to the local hospital, the specialist said that i did have some tears in the retina, so I was lucky enough that my parents had private cover and i was seen quickly by a specialist in Lincoln. He said that i did have tears but it wasnt something that he would operate on and that i was to watch for stars and floaters, and not to go on any theme park rides or anything which can cause me to bang my head (i still jump off the wardrobes though hahah).

Well i have now moved away from home to Scotland to be with my Fiance and i have notice yesterday that i have a floater in my right eye? Starting to panick. Things always happen to me when i am happy and getting settled!!!!

I am hoping that someone who has replied to you has had the same thing??

I am off to the optisions tomorrow for a check up! COMPLETE NIGHTMARE

#3; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:47:00 GMT
    • My advice is to go to an opthalmologist, not an optomitrist. An opthalmologist can help you right there in the office and not send you off on a referral. You probably need some laser treatment, like I did..and the sooner you get it, the better off you will be. This is nothing to mess around with. I have had retinal detachments twice and twice have had the repair done with laser. Good luck.
      #4; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:48:00 GMT
    • What is the laser treatment like?

Do i just go and see if i can get booked in at the local hospital? I will be on the NHS as i dont live with the parents any more.

The worrying things is, im opnly 23 ikinda new this would happen but in my older years not 4 months on! Im worried!

#5; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:49:00 GMT
    • I want to tell everyone about my recent experience with two detached retinas. I went to see my opthalmologist in early May and had a complete exam (no problems found). I started having floaters a year ago. Then about 7 weeks ago I started seeing a round circle with a bright light around it at night with the lights off and some flashes of light (which I have had before). I put off seeing the doctor for about 2 1/2 weeks, until a black half moon started taking my vision in the bottom left corner of my right eye...and I was also having trouble seeing my computer. I'm very near sighted but didn't need glasses for close up work. My doctor sent me to a retina doctor right away and I had surgery an hour later. The first surgery didn't work so they did another one with a buckle and another bubble a week later. It's been a very hard time because I still have very little vision in my eye. They say it will get better in time but God only knows. Please don't put off getting to the best doctor if you have any flashes, strange shapes or a black moon loss of sight. It's very sad to lose your sight!!!!
      #6; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:50:00 GMT
    • Go to an Ophthalmologist. They are eye specialist and they will put your mind at ease. I will never trust an Optometrists with my eyes.
      #7; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:31:00 GMT
    • I Agree with Rick...go see a Ophthalmologist.

And if your retina does detach they can do something about it...They can put a 'Buckle' on it to hold it in place etc. When I was an infant my left retina detached...and they went in and put a buckle on it...

Proceedures might have changed since then but this was 20+ years ago so I'm sure their technology has only improved...

#8; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:32:00 GMT
    • I couldn't agree more. A person at risk for retinal detachment should be under the care of an ophthalmologist, or even a retinal specialist.

The air test, which is for glaucoma, has nothing to do with a dilated examination.

Some retinal detachments can be treated with laser.

I don't want to say anything against optometrists in general. They are well-educated (four years of schooling AFTER university), and my optometrist was great when my problems developed, but they are not medical doctors, and your particular optometrist was definitely lax. (But then, the second one was on the ball.)

Torre

#9; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:33:00 GMT
    • I wonder why they didn't tell me to go to an opthamologist or retinal care dr? Maybe I overreacted and it isn't bad? Maybe the one dr has never seen someone as nearsighted as me? I would think if they didn't refer me and something were to happen I could possibly sue--wouldn't thay want to cover their back? And I'm not sure he said the air blowing in the eye thing was to check retinas--I remember he just said he doesn't need to dilate. I don't think he would just blow me off he seems to be a very good doctor......thanks for all your replies......
      #10; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:34:00 GMT
    • bump bump bump
      #11; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:35:00 GMT
    • Sooooooo, have you made an appt with an ophthalmologist?

T.

#12; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:36:00 GMT
    • I called one of the largest offices in my area, thinking they would have the best doctors working there. When I called and requested to see an opthamologist, she said you only see one if the optomotrist sees a problem. I discussed this with my mom and husband (who by the way think i am overreacting because they say both drs would have sent me to a specialist if they saw something happening) and decided to stay with the dr i have been seeing all these years. (they both go to him and feel he's a good optomotrist). I'm just going to pay attention to my vision and watch for symptoms. I overreact about everything. But I was kinda hoping someone on this board would have the same situation as me to reassure me. I really worry that if it does happen, and because my eyes are so bad, they wont be able to fix it because i am so nearsighted. It sounds like people on other things i have read that have vision as bad or worse than mine that had a detachment fixed (or attempted to fix), dont have good results. (double vision, numerous detachments, etc) scares me!!! I just have to trust in God that he won't give me anything I can't handle. I have 2 kids under 5 and the thought of not being able to see them makes me so sad.
      #13; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:37:00 GMT
    • I feel comfortable with my optomotrist I've been seeing all these years, but after reading things on the internet and this website I started to doubt him. I feel much better with my decision to stay under his treatment.
      #14; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:38:00 GMT
    • what do you think about my eyes? And because my vision is 20/700, is it more difficult to fix a detached retina? What do you think my chances of getting a detached retina are? I'm so scared I'm going to have to do that thing where you have to lie upside down for weeks! I have 2 little kids I can't do that!
      #15; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:39:00 GMT
    • torre--I might not have been clear in my previous posts. The Dr I am staying with didn't dilate my eyes until I told him about my flashes and floaters. He then dilated my eyes (has 3times now) and tells me every time that I am at a higher risk but at this time he sees no reason for me to see a specialist. He did give me the name of a place to go to in case I have something happen on the weekend. (it's an office that deals with retinas only). He also said this may never happen, just because I'm at an increased risk doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen. He said you shouldn't live life always worrying. Unfortunately, I do.
      #16; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:40:00 GMT
    • I'm trying not to worry so much. I'd feel better about everything if I didn't have floaters AND flashes. The flashes scare me. But like I said, he reassured me that it's common for nearsighted people to see flashes also. I really only see them at night when I turn my head really fast. Thanks again--
      #17; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:41:00 GMT
    • Hi.

I went thru the very same ordeal with my optomistrist, who I had seen for years. When my vision went bad, for the life of me he would not send me to an opthalmologist, (Cataract) for he knew, he would be saying goodbye to another patient. He would not tell me I had this cataract and he had to have seen it. So sometimes, it gets down to the bottom line....$$$$$$$$.

#18; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:42:00 GMT
    • I would do anything in my power to see an opthamologist. I have flashes and did have a floater (caused by diabetic retinopathy) I am at risk for a detachment, but my opthamologist said it looks stable now after tons of laser treatments. I know a man who is diabetic and was seeing his optometrist and not an opthamologist, the optometrist said there was nothing wrong and a year later he woke up with hemmorhaging in his eye from late stage retinopathy and needed to get a vitrectomy from the specialist. I would harass my doctor until I got in.
      #19; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:43:00 GMT
    • I did in fact see a retinal specialist after telling my optometrist that I couldn't get this worrying out of my head. The specialist said he doesn't see a detachment happening. I asked if I should see a retinal specialist once a year and he said no, he even said I only need my eyes dilated every couple years! I'm still going to have them dilated once a year though. He gave me the reason I see floaters and flashes but I can't remember why.
      #20; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:44:00 GMT