Tags: contacts, drugs, eye, health, i039m, led, life, luckily, medications, old, optical, shortsighted, wear

I'm 17 years old and Im very shortsighted (ab...

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Optical & Eye Health

4,628 words with 7 Comments; publish: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:47:00 GMT; (90078.13, « »)

I'm 17 years old and Im very shortsighted (about -15 in each eye). Luckily with technology i've led a normal life. I usually wear contacts now, glasses lenses are getting superthing blah blah blah.

Anyway, for a good few years Ive been getting "floaters" and they've been especially noticeable in the morning. They dont disrupt my vision, and tend to congregate around the side of my vision. Recently though there seem to be a few more of them, and they sometimes like to "swim" across my view when I move my eyes.

I can easily put them out of my mind, and I know for a fact my retinas are OK. But, I hear floaters are usually common in older people. So why would I have them? Is it because of my extreme myopia?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • I got my first floater at age 12...It looked like a gnat...That was about a year after I got glasses for nearsightedness...Not sure what degree of myopia I had then, but now am in -5 to -6 range...Now 41 and have a few more floaters, but they are not that bad...Have you asked your eye doctor to make sure you are okay?
      #1; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:38:00 GMT
    • I have had floaters since my mid teens. I am 49 now. They have got worse as the years gone by. I go to a ophthalmologist on a regular basis for my peace of mind. My eyes are healthy and the floaters are just a nuisance. I know one thing if you think about them they seem worse. If you haven't been to a ophthalmologist, you might want to go so you will feel better about it.
      #2; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:39:00 GMT
    • what are floaters?

i was gonna suggest you move this topic to the digestive disorders board, but im still a little unsure

#3; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:40:00 GMT
    • It has something to do with when part of the vitreous fluid (the fluid that lubricates your eyes) detaches and starts floating around. You see these brown spots floating around from side to side. It is especially noticeable in the daylight. An overcast day seems to be the background that I see them the most.
      #4; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:41:00 GMT
    • Hi. I recently read an interesting article with regards to floaters, as I have been experiencing them due to eye inflammation and I also have hemorrhaging occurring.

As you are probably aware, floaters are tiny clumps of gel or cells inside the vitreous, the clear jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of the eye. Although they appear to be floating in front of the eye, they are actually floating in the vitreous fluid inside the eye.

The causes in this article indicated that when individuals reach middle age, the vitreous gel may start to thicken or shrink, forming clumps or strands inside the eye. The vitreous gel pulls away from the back wall of the eye, causing a posterior vitreous detachment, a common cause of floaters. Posterior vitreous detachment was stated to be more common in those who are nearsighted, have had cataract surgery, YAG laser eye surgery, or have had inflammation inside the eye.

It was highly recommended to see the Opthalmologist right away if you suddenly develop new floaters, particularly for those age 45 and over. The reason given is the retina can tear if the shrinking vitreous gel pulls away from the wall of the eye, causing sometimes a small amount of bleeding in the eye that may appear to be new floaters. (When the vitreous gel rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what look likes flashing lights or lightning streaks).

The article recommended that if you notice symptoms such as loss of side vision, or even one new floater, and/or seeing sudden flashes of light to see the Eye MD.

Hope this information was helpful.

#5; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:42:00 GMT
    • Thanks,

From what I can remember I have had floaters for years. I can remember when I was younger going shopping, and when i was waiting for my Dad at the car park I would see them then.

They are definitly more noticeable in daylight.

My main problme is, I get occular migraines, and the following day although I dont get the migraine, my eyse seems alot more sensitive to light, and my vision seems a little "flashy" and distorted, which I dont like, but cant do anything about. This then draws my attention to my floaters.

I'd go the doctor again but I already know what he will say.

#6; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:43:00 GMT
    • The key here is eyes are sensitive to light. That is a new symptom and with the flashes you are experiencing, go to the doctor. Have you eyes checked to verify there is no inflammation, nor any hemorrhaing, nor any blocked vein or artery.

It just may be the bewildering ocular disturbances that migraines present, but I would make the appointment and go due to the new symptoms and you seem to be concerned. Trust your gut instinct. You know your body better than anyone and when something is new.

#7; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:44:00 GMT