Tags: crawling, cry, drugs, eye, feels, health, husband, medications, nights, optical, row, woke

Help! feels like something crawling in my eye!

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Optical & Eye Health

6,241 words with 6 Comments; publish: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:35:00 GMT; (900218.75, « »)

My husband woke up in the middle of the night 2 nights in a row, almost looking like he is ready to cry b/c he said it feels like something is in his left eye. I asked him what it felt like and he just said at first like there was a something crawling in it and then I said does it feel like sand and he said yes. I think the so called "sand" is moving around when he moves his eyeball therefore makes it feel like its moving around. He lifted his eyelid it did give him some relief. I put lots of drops in it & told him lets go to the ER, but you know how men are! He put a cold compress it in and I guess that gave him a little relief too, but it said it started burning. Its really freaking me out...whats wrong with his eye? He went to the eyedoctor today and she said nothing was wrong with it? But she is also a new doctor freshly out of school and he felt like she didnt really know what to do. This isnt normal!! Why is he in so much pain. He said it hurts when he closes his eye! Has anyone had the same symptoms? He works in a power plant...could it be something there affecting it? Its not too often you see a grown man cry in tears b/c of pain...what do I do? Is this serious? I really need a Dr.'s opinion!! Help!! Please!!!!

[This message has been edited by heavenbound (edited 11-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by heavenbound (edited 11-03-2002).]

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 6 Comments
    • Well I am not a dr, but it sounds to me like his eye may be dry. That can definitely cause a sandy, burning, painful sensation. You have to be very careful with dry eyes, because they can lead to corneal abbrasions, especially if he is having pain. Was the dr that he saw an optometrist or an ophthalmologist? He should go see an ophthalmologist, or if he has already seen one, go see another one and get a second opinion. It is possible that she missed something. There could be something that is in his eye, behind the eyeball or under the eyelid, that she couldn't see. Or his eye could just be very inflamed and irritated from something, which could also give him all of the sensations that you described. Has he tried tear drops? Make sure that he only uses ones that are preservative free, because preservatives can sometimes irritate the eye even more. He needs to be seen by another doctor. Do you have an eye hospital in your area? Or an eye clinic? (for example, in NY we have NY Eye and Ear Infirmary, which has a 24 hour eye emergency room, staffed by fully qualified ophthalmologists). Someplace like that would probably be the best place to go, because they are the most experienced. Also, any hospital should have an ophthalmology service. It might be smart for him to go to the ER. But if he does, you need to demand that he is seen by an ophthalmologist, and that he is examined with a slit lamp to check for corneal problems. A regular ER doc is good for diagnosing pink eye, but not much else.

If you really want the opinion of a doctor, there is a website called askphysicians. Click on the general ophthalmology forum, and there is a panel of about 15 doctors. You can ask them any eye question, and they are supposed to get back to you within 2-3 business days. The charge is $10. You probably will not find any physicians posting on this board.

good luck, and make him go back to the dr!

Elyse

#1; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:36:00 GMT
    • Gosh thank you so much for your help! You seem to know a lot about it! I'm not for sure what kind of dr he saw. I'm just dreading tonight b/c he has worked 34 hrs in the past 48 and slept 6 hrs of that b/c he cant sleep b/c of the pain! He said he cant close his eye...it hurts too bad!! I feel so sorry for him! I'll relay this message to him though...we are in nashville...there are a lot of great hospitals around here so I'll probably end up in the ER tonight with him. He has to get sleep or his body is just going to drop! The Dr. gave him Tobradex which is an antibiotic/steriod for his eye...but its not doing a darn thing for him. Thanks for the info!!
      #2; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:37:00 GMT
    • Tobradex is a very good anti-biotic drop, but you have to be careful with it because if he has any sort of erosion on the cornea (an abbrasion, a scratch, etc...) he absolutely cannot use a steroid until it is completely healed. Steroids can prohibit healing.

Yes, unfortunately I do know an awful lot about eye problems. I have more than my share. If you ever want to know more about me, check out my post under "help, I need some relief".

Also, tell your husband to try some wet cold compresses, and also to try using some preservative free tears ointment to lubricate the eye. That might make it feel better when he closes it. He could also have some sort of stye, which can rub against the eyeball and cause pain when you close the eyelid. Please make sure he sees an ophthalmologist for a complete workup.

Keep me posted, I would like to know what happens. I hope he feels better.

Sincerely,

Elyse

#3; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:38:00 GMT
    • Well I hope your husband is all better by now! My husband had the same thing happen and it turned out he had a tear on his eye, don't know how he got it but our general practitioner could not tell what was going on, he had to be seen by an ophthalmologist to discover the tear.
      #4; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:39:00 GMT
    • Well he had a friend thats an optometrists so he just kept telling me he'll only go to him. So he went twice and both times they said there is nothing wrong with your eye and gave him that medicine. Its been 2 weeks now and whatever it was is gone b/c its not bothering him anymore. Maybe with that medicine and prayer it went away!
      #5; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:40:00 GMT
    • Well I am very glad to hear that he is feeling better. It was probably the Tobradex that helped him. Sigh, I wish it were that easy for me. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/frown.gif

He probably had some sort of infection or something that the optometrist couldn't see or diagnose, but it was good that he gave him the anti-biotic anyway. Sometimes just because the doc doesn't see something, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

If it comes back again he should be checked out by an ophthalmologist, who can hopefully get to the root of the problem.

Good luck,